Macy’s, Inc is an American retailer that operates in 45 states, the District of Colombia, Guam, and Puerto Rico. Across these 870 stores in the United States and its territories, there are approximately 157,900 employees. Macy’s, Inc has transformed and expanded a significant amount since its inception in 1858. If you think you’d like to work at this long-time successful retailer over the holidays, keep on reading!
Live Job Search
According to the Wall Street Journal, Macy’s hired around 85,000 seasonal employees in 2015, compared to the 86,000 in 2014 and 83,000 in 2013. As for the upcoming years, it wouldn’t be a stretch to assume Macy’s will hire over 80,000 employees each holiday season. Macy’s is dedicated to hiring people from all walks of life during the holidays – ranging from college students to retirees. Seasonal employees at Macy’s are assigned to different positions in various locations across the United States so there’s an opportunity for everyone.
Seasonal positions at Macy’s are typically part-time and require weekend availability and availability during evening and overnight shifts. Additionally, as a seasonal employee at Macy’s, you have the chance to work at different types of locations including stores, telephone call centers, distribution centers, online fulfillment centers, and even at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade depending on your preference and skill set. Because of this, positions differ from location to location, as well as the number of seasonal employees who work at different locations.
For example, the majority of seasonal hires work on the selling floor – in Macy’s stores. There is also a good number of seasonal hires that are needed at the fulfillment centers. Fewer seasonal employees are needed at the call centers and at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Here are some seasonal positions and their qualifications:
- Seasonal store associates are responsible for great customer service, meeting sales goals, and have knowledge of the products. No experience or education is necessary.
- Warehouse associate must receive, pack, and ship merchandise using technology such as hand-held scanners. To be a warehouse associate, you must be able to be trained to use powered equipment, lift 50 pound objects, and be trained to use fork lifts.
- The seasonal retail receiving associate is responsible for processing merchandise that is leaving and entering the store. Education is not necessary, though you must be able to lift 30 pounds.
- The seasonal retail merchandising associate is responsible for proper merchandising and stockroom replenishment, among other things. Like the receiving associate, no education is necessary but you must be able to lift 30 pounds.
- The seasonal asset protection security guard is responsible for maintaining a safe environment inside the store and preventing theft. A high school diploma or an equivalent is required, as is completion of Store Agent Training. Some college is preferable.
The compensation for employees at Macy’s is relatively standard. For example, salaries for seasonal employees at Macy’s are hourly. Seasonal sales associates receive an average of $8.90 per hour for their work, while seasonal merchandising associates have an average salary of $8.20. Seasonal warehouse associates receive approximately $9 to $11 an hour. Furthermore, benefits at Macy’s include employee discounts, health benefits, retirement benefits, and you can even be in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade!
If you are interested in working seasonally at Macy’s, you can view job opportunities at Macy’s here. You can enter the word “seasonal” in the keyword bar and enter your location to find open positions in your area.
For more seasonal retail opportunities, check out seasonal jobs at Target.